L Visa and EB-1 for Intra-Company Managers and Executives

You might qualify for the L Visa if you are a manager or executive for a company in another country and worked for the company within the last three years for at least one year, and you are coming here to the US to work as a manager or executive for a parent, subsidiary, affiliate, or branch of the company that is in China or another foreign country. Read More

FAQ: Can I petition for myself for the O visa?

It is absolutely possible to petition for yourself, especially if you are working in a profession that is traditionally occupied by independent contractors. Some examples of these professions are hair dressers, make-up artists, painters, musicians, to name a few.

What do I need to do before getting started on my petition?

You should find one of your “clients” to act as an Agent for you, to represent all the clients that you will have here in the U.S. This particular client will have to sign a short agent-principal agreement, which our law firm will draft for you, as well as create an itinerary for your time here on the O Visa. He/she will also provide the signature as the “petitioner” on the application. Read More

Delay for Parole for International Entrepreneurs Rule Vacated, Applications Can Be Submitted!

On December 1, 2017, the US District Court in DC ruled in favor of the entrepreneurs and venture capitals and vacated the rule (“Delay Rule”) delaying the effective date of the Parole for International Entrepreneurs Rule (PIER) until March 14, 2018. In the Delay Rule, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) also stated that the PIER was “highly likely to be revoked.” This ruling represents a great step forward towards a fully operational “startup visa” in the US and is a win for entrepreneurs all over the world that are seeking to grow their companies in the US market. Read More

What You Need to Know About Employment-Based Green Card Interviews

Effective October 1, 2017 nationwide, USCIS will begin contacting those who filed their employment-based petitions after March 6th for interviews when they have also applied for Adjustment of Status to Permanent Residence.  The USCIS Ombudsman provided an informative Q and A session last Thursday. Here is what applicants need to know:

  • Derivatives:
    • Under 14 years old may be waived from the interview requirement – there is a waiver that applicants must complete.
    • Will receive a separate notice, but family groups should be scheduled for the interview at the same time. However, they make no promises that it will be at the same time.
    • Family members could be expected to prove relationship to the primary beneficiary – bring copies and originals of certificates. Officer may also require showing that the marriage was bona fide.
    The I-140’s will not be “re-adjudicated” at these interviews. However, in addition to considering the Adjustment of Status application, the interviewing officer will “re-assess” the validity and accuracy of the documents that were submitted in support of the I-140 petition. Needless to say, this point is troubling – “re-assessing” the validity and accuracy seems to be crossing the thin line into “re-adjudicating”.
    • USCIS does not want applicants to send in unsolicited documents after the initial application is submitted. Because of the multiple steps involved, if USCIS needs new evidence, they will request them and applicants should follow the address and the instructions on the RFE so that the documents do not get lost.
    • Questions that will be asked include those that are on the I-485 and the applicant’s eligibility for Adjustment, and admissibility issues. Also, officers may ask into what the beneficiary/self-petitioner will do, their experience, and their educational background. The main purpose of pursuing these interviews is fraud detection and national security, so referrals to ICE is possible if interviewing officer detects credible threats.
    • Processing times:  USCIS does not believe that these interviews will affect the processing times for the Employment-Based Adjustment applications, however, we may see some slow-down on family-based adjustments and naturalization interviews because of this.
    • Denials: 
      • If the defects in the I-140 were a basis for the denial, then the field office will return the I-485 and the I-140 together to the service center and recommend that it be revoked. If the service center determines that the I-140 should not be revoked, then the service center will approve the application.
      • On the other hand, if the I-140 is okay, but there are defects in the I-485, then the field office will refer the case to the consulate to be re-adjudicated in accordance with consular processing.
      • Medical Exams: Without further advice from USCIS at this moment, we would also recommend waiting until you are contacted through the Request for Evidence or at the interview to submit the medical examination. Because the medical exams are only valid for one year and it could take a year or more for the Adjustment application, it could be a waste of money and resources to submit the medical exams with the I-485 packet.

      Our office is ready to help Employment-Based adjustment applicants prepare for these interviews, collect the required documents, and go with them, if necessary. Please contact us if you wish to have some assistance in these uncertain times. Read More

VisaScreen Certificates for Healthcare Professionals

When applying for temporary visas to work in the U.S., USCIS requires many foreign national healthcare professionals to get VisaScreen certificates to certify that their degrees fits the requirements of the visa that they are seeking. The temporary visas that require this certificate are the E-3 Australian Specialty Occupation Professionals, H-1Bs, O-1s, and TNs. The certificate is also required for the employment-based immigrant visas (EB-1, EB-2, EB-3). The healthcare workers to which this requirement applies are Registered Nurses, Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Language Pathologists and Audiologists, Medical Technologists, Medical Technicians (general), and Physicians Assistants. The reason for this requirement is because, for many of these professions, other countries could require less than the U.S. degree requirements in order to practice in the field. Therefore, VisaScreen Certificates, like the degree equivalency certificates, certifies that the professional is qualified to practice in the U.S. under that specific profession because their coursework is the same as that of a higher degree in the U.S.  However, note that even if a foreign national obtained the healthcare degree in the U.S., in order to apply for any work visa, he/she would still have to obtain the VisaScreen Certificate. Read More

National Interest Waiver Denial Reasons

Our firm has been working on a few EB-2 with National Interest Waiver cases since Matter of Dhanasar came out. This case was determined to be friendlier to entrepreneurs, in addition to the traditional professions (physicians, scientists, etc.) and more focused on the future, and it is. However, a review of recent decisions from the Administrative Appeals Office (AAO) shows that denials are increasing. Read More

SCOTUS: Muslim Ban Allowed for Those With No Bona Fide Relationship to US


In March, President Trump issued a new version to Executive Order #13780 (EO), which banned individuals from 6 countries – Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen – from entering the US for 90 days.  This had been dubbed in the media as the Muslim Ban. Suits were filed to halt the enforcement of the EO. The Federal District Courts granted the preliminary injunctions. The Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and the Ninth Circuit then upheld the preliminary injunctions. Read More

We Spoke, DHS Listened! Revised and Published Parole for International Entrepreneurs Rule Much Friendlier to Entrepreneurs!

On January 17, 2017, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) published the final rule for providing parole to international entrepreneurs who are starting their own businesses in the U.S. Recall that I had published my commentary on the proposed version of the same rule, here. Of course, as someone who follows and practices immigration options for international entrepreneurs, I was excited for that rule. Then, DHS added more discretionary factors to the EB-2 self-petitions with National Interest Waiver (NIW), which would be difficult to obtain for someone who wants to start their own business soon after graduating with an undergraduate degree. Subsequently, DHS published the NEW Parole for International Entrepreneurs Rule, effective July 17, 2017. Read More

EB-2 and the NEW Entrepreneurs’ Standard for National Interest Waiver

Previously, I released a blog on Five Ways that international entrepreneurs can start a business and obtain a green card. At that time, I mentioned the EB-2 and the National Interest Waiver, which had rigid standards based on NYSDOT, 22 I&N Dec. 215. Towards the end of 2016, against all the rubble and darkness the end of that year provided, a light emerged for international entrepreneurs planning to start their own businesses. In an earlier blog, I outlined in detail the new proposed rule of Parole for International Entrepreneurs, for which the final rule will be published on January 17, and effective 180 days after that. A lot is happening in the international entrepreneurs section of immigration laws, so stay tuned! Read More

J-1 Visa: Foreign Residency Requirement, No Objection Statement (China) and Exceptional Hardship Waiver

We recently worked on a J-1 Visa case where the young lady came here from China on a J-1 Visa, married a U.S. Citizen, and is now seeking a waiver for her foreign residency requirement. The wonderful thing is that J-1 Visas are a good substitute for the overused H-1B, as long as the employer hires through a sponsoring organization. This topic is beyond the scope of this blog, but please contact us if you are interested in finding out how you can do this. Read More